My most recent post was about my love of the traditional, bound book format. Many of my friends are also in a never-ending love affair with traditional books, but some of us are “cheaters” in that we also adore and depend upon ebooks to supplement our reading habits. Maybe you will recognize yourself in these descriptions. If you do, an ebook and reader (or smart phone or other device) will probably be in your future.
- You sometimes ask the waitress if you can keep the menu if there’s nothing else handy to read.
- You find yourself reading the newspaper over a stranger’s shoulder or six-month-old magazines in the doctor’s office if you’ve forgotten your own book.
- You absolutely need several books with you when you travel. One or two won’t be enough, because you never know what you’ll be in the mood for. Besides, you may finish what you’re reading and need a backup, or five or six.
- Speaking of travelling, you often take an extra bag to hold the books you’ll be bringing home because you just couldn’t resist purchasing them, then and there.
- You often read more than one book at a time, sometimes alternating between fiction and nonfiction or between genres.
- You never know when you’ll get stuck in traffic, or in an elevator, or on a stalled roller coaster.
- You’ve been known to take a book to read during a football game, or a boring lecture, or a family reunion.
- You wish you could adjust the page and font to your own visual needs.
- You would like to highlight what you’ve read, make notes and see other readers’ highlights and notes.
- You’re doing research and would like all the books you’ve read on your topic easily accessible.
- You would like to build a library of titles on a particular topic or by a particular author.
- You would enjoy the convenience of choosing a new title in the middle of the night and having it available almost immediately.
- You are moving to a smaller home, apartment, dorm room, retirement home or assisted living center and must downsize your library.
You absolutely need several books with you when you travel. One or two will not be enough, because you never know what you’ll be in the mood for. Besides, you might finish what you’re reading and need a backup, or five or six.
- You enjoy reading lengthy books, but sometimes wish they weren’t so darn heavy.
- You sometimes lend, give away, or donate a book and then wish you hadn’t.
- You have access to a library that lends ebooks, so that you don’t have to purchase them.
- You like to keep your books organized, but don’t particularly enjoy moving them from place to place on the shelves.
- You like to have your books cataloged, but don’t enjoy the cataloging.
- You like to have the particular book you want at your fingertips, not in one of many stacks or on one of many shelves in your home.
- You’re a person who likes to adjust your life choices to your particular needs, and not get too tied down to old preferences, habits and traditions.
Other reasons you enjoy your reading device and ebooks? Share here!